Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
I felt that way several years ago. I still feel that way sometimes. You just have to take it one day at a time.

My tips - open an online savings account. I have a cap one 360 savings that used to be ING. I started setting aside a little bit out of every paycheck. (when I had one.) It takes at least 3 days to get money out of that account if you don't have a debit card. (I didn't have one to start with.) This enabled me to "forget" about the money. This kept me from spending it unless I really planned ahead. That is my "emergency" fund. (although it's low now because of paying my RE taxes, and a couple of car repairs.)

I don't have a retirement account. Not sure what I'll live on if I can't work.

You have to take one baby step at a time.

I don't gamble. I never win. and if you really look at the statistics on winning, no one really wins. I pick up pennies off the floor or the ground. I recycle returnable/deposit-able bottles and cans. I almost never buy anything unless it's on sale or clearance. I don't drink coffee or smoke. (couldn't afford to if I wanted to.) I cut my own hair. (it will grow back out anyway.) I wash out and re-use plastic bags. I re-use and repair just about anything I can. Buy my clothes at the thrift shop. (who wants to pay $40 for a pair of jeans you can get at the thrift shop for $5-10.

All of this falls under "Living Below Your Means"

I'm not an angel, but I have made a concerted effort to change my life. Sounds like you need to do the same.
Get help... if you need it. Everyone needs help. Don't let anyone tell you different. Talk to your doctor or find a councilor to talk to. I was in dire straits for a long time, because my family kept telling me I didn't have a problem. (mainly my mother) When I finally got some help, I was better at coping with the things around me. (I'm self diagnosed as bi-polar and got on medication.)

I think you know what you need to do.. you just need someone to help you through it.

Find a forum like this to talk to people who have been through it, and can commiserate, help, or comfort.

I never learned anything financial from my parents. I learned the hard way. I learned from this website, and other websites. I'm not where I "should be" financially, by any means, but I'm better off than my dad was when he died. I took over his finances about 10-15 years ago. I was about 4 months short of having him completely out of debt when he died. (except for the Home equity loan) Managed to get his credit score up to 800+.

rule#1 pay your bills on time. rule#2 pay your bills on time. rule#3..well you get the picture. This is how you increase your credit score. once you get that moving up, it gives you some leeway to get into other things.

get a notebook. write down everything you spend your money on. every penny. once you know where it goes, it's easier to keep a hold on it. Check those pockets for holes! :)

Okay..I've gotten a bit carried away. Hopefully some of this will help..

Good Luck!
LadyIanna
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.