Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
i filed a 1040x for 2001 in january 2003, and just received a statement of account and the refund check in the mail (in two separate envelopes). the 1040x showed an increase in taxable income of $334, and a refund due of $1219. however, the statement of account records the increase in taxable income as an increase in tax, and the refund due as a credit. so the refund was calculated as $1219 - 334 = 885.

i have three questions:

Before we get to your questions, I have a couple of my own.

I don't understand your numbers, which don't tell the whole story. What exactly were you changing from your original filing? What's the source of additional credits that you think should be producing a $1219 refund? A little more information would help.

Phil Marti
VITA Volunteer
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.