Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
I filed my tax return the first week of February.

In the last few weeks, I've received 3 Schedule K forms. 2 of the 3 relate to IRA holdings. I didn't take any IRA distributions in 2003.

I also received an amended 1099 from my broker.

I'm trying to determine the requirements for amending my return:

1 - do I need to do anything with the Schedule Ks for the IRA investments? My inclination is to toss them.

Not so fast. Your IRA may have to file and pay taxes. If your IRA receives more than $1000 in Unrelated Business Income (UBI) it must file a Form 990-T and could be liable to pay taxes on that income. I assume that your IRA is invested in a partnership of some sort. If your K-1s have entries on lines 1-3, your IRA has UBI.

2 - the Schedule K for the taxable stuff doesn't change the bottom line of my return. Neither do the changes in the 1099. Do I need to amend my return if the tax doesn't change at all?

Not unless there is a carryforward amount that is altered by the changes or there is a change in a number reported to the IRS but the corresponding offset (which changes) is not reported.

What I mean by the latter comment is the following. If you were to receive a corrected 1099-B showing the redemption of a $10000 bond (for $10000), the IRS would only have the "sell" side of the transaction. If you originally purchased the bond for face value, there would be no net capital gain, but the IRS doesn't know the "buy" side information until you report it. In this case the IRS would be looking for the tax on 10K of capital gains if you didn't file an amended return.

Ira
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.