Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 6
I finally finished doing my taxes and came up with a huge tax due. I can only come up with about 10% of what's due. Since I filed for payment terms last year (and that figure was no where near this year's) I can't request another payment plan (or can I).

You probably can. I'm not clear as to whether you're still paying on 1999 or not. If you are, call the number on your last reminder notice and talk to them about it. If you're no longer paying on 1999, that shouldn't be an impediment to a 2000 installment agreement.

The 500 pound elephant here is why can't you pay your taxes on time? Unless you find the source of the problem and correct it, you'll be in this situation year after year, paying lots of needless penalty and interest.

Phil Marti
Retired IRS Collection Officer
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.