Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 6
I first saw a Polestar pre-pandemic in the WTC Oculus in NYC. Nice looking car, but reviews weren't terrific.

I have to say-- I am leasing a Hyundai Ioniq right now. The range on my car is not great (180 miles, I believe), and it takes 54 minutes to charge 0-80% at a level 3 high speed charger. But I love the car. Its my first EV and it wont be my last. Complements my gas guzzling SUV nicely :)

Next year's Ioniq allegedly will have 300 mile range and will charge in 18 minutes.

On the consumer's financial side: a Tesla Model Y, with the same MSRP as my 2020 Ioniq would have cost (taxes, fees, etc included) $700/month with $0 down. My car is $250/month--plus a healthy rebate from my home state, which the Tesla dealer included in their quote.

Why am I bringing this up on an investing forum? I hear rumors about Hyundai. Going to partner with Apple on the 'Apple Car' (that seems to not be happening), for example. Making Ioniq its own--standalone--brand.

What I see is a car company with insane warranties (speaks to confidence in their product) at 10 year powertrain, 5 year total, making itself into a GM type entity. They already have Genesis, Kia and now Ioniq brands. I might need to look at this company to see if its worth holding shares.

I am more a Saul-type investor (which is why I am on this board, as well), but there's something to be said about owning stock in a company which indicates its making all the right moves--even if its not necessarily 'hyper-growth'
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.