Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
i Follow up after my research. Married filing separately folks can make non deductible contributions to a Traditional IRA and convert it to a Roth and won't be bound to the $10k AGI limit. Also, MFS individuals who don't live together for an entire calendar year are both treated as "single" in regards to Roths and may both contribute using single filer income limits.

Just realize that "did not live with your spouse at any time during the year" is literal. Spending even one day living with your spouse disqualifies you from being treated as single. Living together in this case doesn't refer to your domicile or residence, but actually cohabitating at any location.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.