Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 3
I followed your link and in reading the article I got very confused. It seems to imply that you can withdraw (distribute) actual shares of stock rather than dollars. Is that possible?

Yes. It's called an 'in-kind' distribution.

Is any of that accurate? I have never seen that mentioned as an option from any other source.

Yes. It's just like any other stock you buy in your taxable account. Your holding period begins the date that the distribution is made, and the basis is the value of the stock that was distributed, NOT the price you purchased it for in the IRA. There are several recent threads over on the Retirement Investing board that mention in-kind distributions.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.