Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0

I found that article that was of interest to me with regards to Windows codecs:

http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-5338600.html

Does this mean Real Networks still has higher quality codecs?

90% of the videos I run, I use Apple's Quicktime. For anything music related, I use Winamp. For anything else that doesn't fall into these two areas or is .wma, I let Windows Media Player 7 pick up.

I used to have RealPlayer installed on my computer but deleted it after it took as long as 5 minutes to load or would just lock-up my system. I was also annoyed by the fact it forced every file that was media-related to load up in RealPlayer, even if I wanted to run it in another program. After I deleted it, it left all my videos un-useable too, dispite having deleted it through the add/remove programs function. It also seemed to have a lot of difficulty playing video files that WMP 7 handled fairly easily, I think due to codec issues.

Maybe I just had a real bad experience, but I'm sticking with the nicer WMP 7 for now.

Steve

PS: Post 700, I'm catching up Paul :)
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.