Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I fry flounder, not catfish. IMO catfish:flounder as crawfish:shrimp...ie, the cheaper but less delicious mud-dwelling, funky alternative, esp wild catfish rather than farmed. I eat a lot of seafood, but avoid farmed. Anyhoo, I don't fry fish or anything else often. And I don't really deep fry at all any more. Just enough oil so after the fish is flipped over, it's just deep enough to fry both sides. Deeper than pan-frying, but not as deep as deep frying. Aside from the health issue, I hate throwing away all that oil.

I dip fresh local flounder in beaten egg and then almond flour, sometimes a little panko added and whatever seasonings appeal in the moment. Old Bay is nice--I keep it on hand for boiling shrimp. I've also added finely ground unsweetened dried coconut flakes. Serve with lemon wedges--that keeps away the bland ;-) Also sufficient salt if high BP isn't an issue (I salt when serving as BP isn't an issue for me, but is for my husband).

I fry flounder maybe 3x/year. I make enough for leftovers the next day for lunch, and once I even froze leftovers, carefully wrapped, for a week or two. Worked fine. Reheated in toaster oven to avoid sogginess.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.