Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 6
I get SS ( a bit reduced since I only worked 31 of the 35 years) and my RMD which is larger than SS.

I get a very nice chunk of dividends that exceed both SS and RMD, so I live happily.

My house was paid off 20 years ago. My real estate taxes are frozen at the age 65 level as long as I live in my house.

Each year, I tweak the IRA holdings - selling some stock mutual funds - moving it to the MMF account in the IRA, to provide at least 6-9 months of RMD. In addition, dividends/interest in the IRA fills in the rest of the year as it goes along. Yeah, I miss 'out' on additional stock gains....but I also don't sweat having to sell to fund the IRA in a 2008 market meltdown either. My IRA is 50/50 at this point, but other holdings are 80/20.

I quit work long before I could set up a tax free IRA account.....and never moved money.

With the nicely rising stock market, the RMD keeps going up. Not complaining.

Gives me incentive to spend more, but with COVID, the travel was down by 70% in the past year.....so places to go to spend the money! No conventions - all canceled. No activities. Canceled. I'm not going to hop on a plane to anywhere - even now.... nor drive through less 'smart' areas of the country like most of the 'middle' of the country.

Waiting for my booster approval - Moderna.....

t.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.