Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 3
I get the impression you want to make your portfolio more conservative, and you don't need bonds for immediate income. If you're buying bonds in a retirement account at age 31, I don't see a bond fund being out of line for you. Just track the fund(s) against their peer funds every few years. Maybe consider individual bonds when your 5 years from retiring.

Maybe some shares in a high yield (junk) fund with a decent track record, and some of a corporate bond, intermediate maturity fund, with bond maturities of about 10 years or so??

If you want real conservative, treasury bonds. Yield on the 30-year is about 3.8 or 3.9%, and if you buy them as "zeros", yield is probably over 4%.

You may or may not want to consider preferred stock funds, or preferred stock.

This is probably not a good time to search for individual discounted bonds for capital gains or high returns.

The above is only my opinion. Others may disagree.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.