Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 56
I go to school to have a real job. That is my priority.

-------------------------------------

I hate to tell you this but if you don't work, you have no money, and if you have no money, you can't pay the bills... and if you can't pay the bills then you can't have a roof over your head... it only gets worse from there.

You speak as if education is going to magically turn you into a better person, a nicer person... why wait for that?

You should be supplementing your life and work with school to better yourself, because where you are sitting, your mannerisms are not going to suddenly change with a degree in hand.

You have excellent benefits at HD. Don't screw that up because of a single bad night. Future employers don't just look at your education, they also look at the string of jobs you have had. You are a high risk employee if you cannot hold down a job and the way things are going, you are heading straight down that road. It won't matter if you get an education or not because you will not have shown the track record needed by higher paying companies to want them to even consider you for employment. You are going to be a deadbeat as far as they are concerned.

I totally understand your need and desire for an education. It does lift you up in this world but it is part of a complete and total package of who you are. Work counts. Your employment record counts. The fact that you haven't been thrown in jail counts. But you cannot put the cart in front of the horse by expecting that things will fall into place with an education. You must take baby steps along the way to make sure that you get from point A to point B.

Wild, I work full time and go to school full time and I have to say that the combination totally sucks. But I also know that I have an excellent employment record and I have supplemented my future with education, one class at a time. I'd love to rant and rave about idiot customers, but I know that I need to maintain and stay the course for my personal future in having a better job once I leave my current one. I guess I will say that being fired would never happen being that I am in the military but personal discipline works in my favor for ratings on the job that maybe a future employer is going to have their eyeballs on. I need the consistency of good work combined with discipline to get to where I want to be.

I concur with the prior poster who said you better get your butt back to HD and grovel back for your job. This is by far the best one ever that gives you the opportunity to go to school and pay for part of it. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth fer crissakes. This is an opportunity some people would kill for. Why the hell fight the education expenses alone or just with financial aid when you have a perfectly wonderful benefactor in HD?

You're killing us here, Wild... help yourself out and get thee back to HD! You deserve better but you have to have a hand in making it better utilizing every resource thrown your way. Opportunities don't just drop on your doorstep... but when they do, don't dump all over them. You may never get this chance again.

CaveGirl
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.