Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 5
I got a clue from TMB and signed up for I/O.

I don't understand the comparison to ARK in practical terms.

The ETF wrapper is a completely different story from a newsletter service/one's own portfolio. Whereas I/O or TMF are simply throwing out well-researched ideas, Cathie Wood is actually managing others' money, including a good chunk of mine.

I do agree, however, that for this very reason, ARK is a carefree investment. Buy and forget, no need to monitor anything.

The I/O fund can be used as the foundation of either TMF/Gardner portfolio, but one that is pre-built OR as the advanced screener for Saul style holding OR as one own's version of Cathie's approach where you "trade around the edges" of core positions and do a lot of momentum trading. In sum, from hands free to super involved.

The way the I/O portfolio is structured is similar to mine: two groups of stocks, LTBH and momentum.
A few very high-conviction positions get higher allocations, the rest much smaller.

Where I/O is super distinctive from TMF is in using advanced technical analysis to guide entries and exits and also to deal with corrections. This is very valuable for active investors. Of course, I only signed up after the correction was over, lol. I was able to buy at the March bottoms but I was too lazy before it hit so I had to use new money entirely.

I am planning to use I/O as a guide for 1/3 of my 401k in and out of corrections. Don't plan to do so for individual stocks but still I/O can help judging near term upside for indefinite holdings.

One thing I/O does NOT have is a large selection of stocks. So it is nothing like TMF or ARK in that respect. It reflects Beth's strengths so it covers a specific area.

I personally think that it is plenty distinctive enough from TMF and ARK and plenty valuable enough. I signed up for 1 month but at expiry I will just go for the 1 year.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.