Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 11
I gotta say, I love a good old fashioned emergency fund thread!

For almost 10 years - ever since my husband died and I received a pretty sizeaboe life insurance payout - I have thought about my emergency fund much differently.

Previously, I was chasing the goal of having credit cards and cars paid off, funding my retirement funds, and building up 3-6 months expenses in a safe account. Getting 400k in life insurance allowed me to basically go directly to “everything is paid off even the house, and I have extra to invest.”

Since that time, I don’t really keep much in a dedicated emergency fund. I have enough in non-retirement investments, some of which is invested for growth and opthe rest that is more conservative, that is could live well over a year without touching any retirement accounts. That works for me.

Recently I ditched corporate America to work for myself. Right now, I have enough earmarked in my “getting started with this business” to go several months with zero income before I’d have to crack open investments. My goal is to manage my money and bulk my business in a way that allows me to handle paying the bills without selling any investments if I possibly can.
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.