Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 11
I guess that I would be one who comes out ahead from this benefit also. But I get the feeling that my kind of people aren't worthy of any of the so called "help for raising children money" that the govt scatters. I believe "redneck" is the term that was used for people who think that they are the responsible for looking after their own children.
It was a decision that my wife and I made right from the start and made the so called sacrifices to make it happen. I have no time for the babble about how families need two incomes now. Our combined incomes would probably have us on the bottom edge of the lower middle class although I have now idea what ranges they use when they say that, so maybe we are even below the poverty line for a family of 6.
We have bought only a few new clothes for the kids or even us, you can find most everything in perfect shape at garage sales or thrift stores, for next to nothing. We have neither cable or satellite television nor any sort of game-boy or xbox. We read to the little ones and the older two now spend a lot of time reading. With limited access to a library we have bought boxes of used books off of ebay, also used book stores are great for picking up piles of books for a few bucks. So generally we just abuse our kids by living within or below our means.
Yet without having the govt pay or having any insurance plan or tax credit, we still take them to regular dental appointments.
And as far as what we spent this extra money on it went straight into their RESP like the other child benefit does, can't think of the bureaucratic title of it right now.

As far as Ice and his hatred of agriculture subsidies, he'd probably be surprised how much common ground we would probably have on the subject even with my being a farmer. It started with good intentions but in the long run it works against the good intentions they aimed to achieve with it. But try to change it and you get the same screaming about how I'm worse of now, even thought they probably still get money from the govt. Sort of like the people complaining about the change in the child care payments. Geez maybe govt's should just downsize stay out of peoples lives and let them keep more of their own money.

Dan
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.