Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
I guess that rather than hold a grudge against the office guys, I'd send a little note (and a bag of donuts?) to the mechanics thanking them for being honest and helping you out. I'll bet the next time you bring your car in for service not only the mechanics but also the office staff will treat you well.

SB (been on all sides of this one)

Amen to this solution, it's been one of mine for years. When the boat trailer guys went out of their way to repair the brakes (worked well past closing time) I arrived the next day (one of those hotter 'n hell days) to pick it up and brought a 12-pack of cold beer. Yeah , probably illegal but it was fun sitting with them drinking beer and talking.

Mechanics rarely get any feedback from the customer. They're back in the shop and it's the front office that fields the customer. Sometimes this is a good thing yet it does act as a barrier between the customer and the person who actually does the work. So, if the customer sends a nicely worded note and a bag of donuts this will cause the customer to be remembered appreciatively.

No, I don't think of it as a bribe and, yes, I know I have paid for the work yet doing something above and beyond what most customers do – accept the repaired vehicle and drive off – makes for a closer affinity just because of the loss of anonymity. And what has it cost me across the years? Precious little in comparison to what I have received.

What have I received? Not cheaper work but I do find that my work gets put on top of the list more often than not.

One last thing: the company that services my boat asked me, since they will be shorthanded when the next boat show hits this area, to help out at their booth. I took that offer like a shot. Why did they ask? Because I am not an anoymous customer but the one that comes in with – you guessed it – a bag of donuts.

My philosophy is to be remembered as a customer.

MichaelR

Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.