Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I guess this is because I am getting older, but I have a flip-type phone for emergencies only; it can't really do the other smart functions, I believe it is 3G (I don't know if the G is phone dependent, or if every phone is automatically updated to a 4), and I don't play games or anything else (it does text, which I recently learned to do for emergencies, although I have no idea how people are patient enough to text). I'm reluctant to enter the phone generation because I probably would become addicted to it (I'd like to hope not, but still). I can understand a younger person feeling the need to have one, but I must say, even when I was (relatively younger, like 10/15 years ago, whenever phones were a total growth industry) and contemplating getting a phone, I think my preference would have been for a flip one that I can open and that was big; I even looked into the Jitterbug at the time in case I needed to get one for work. I don't like the small phones.

Kathleen, your child may not have had a peer-approved phone, but I'm betting the child's portfolio had some Apple stock...better to buy them stock as opposed to other kinds of presents, especially at very young ages, I always say. I wish some brokerage companies would offer gift cards, especially in this new time of $0 commission (which is awesome)…

Getting back to Apple, the age-compression stats are very interesting. I think Apple can reinvigorate its hardware line, but I am looking to services/streaming for the next several years as a catalyst...
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.