No. of Recommendations: 0
I guess we all anticipate a drop in the fixed I bond rate, so it would seem smart to buy before Nov 1. How much lead time is there when you buy an I bond on the internet? Does the I bond have the same date as when you purchased it?

A couple of other questions about bonds. In the wake of 9/11, it would be nice to name a beneficiary on bonds held jointly. Bank CDs usually allow this as a POD or payable on death option. The option only applies when both joint owners have died (like in a plane crash). The way it looks to me however, only two names can be on the I bond. Since I bonds are relatively new, I wonder why the government limited them to just two names (the same as their older savings bonds).

If you use one of the two I bond names as a beneficiary, I wonder if that beneficiary has to sign just like a joint owner? Thanks.

Yes, you can purchase an I-bond and specify a beneficiary which will be listed as POD. This beneficiary doesn't have to sign anything.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.