Beth Kindig article on MongoDB

I had already top sliced Shopify by 10% to add to MDB last week which has been languishing recently. I’m prepared to consider adding further on this.

MDB should deliver high growth rates over the next 2-3 quarterly releases - assuming Atlas growth holds up, before it starts lapping the 2018 Q4 acquisition of MLab. By which time we should have the Realm acquisition delivering its initial contribution, (Crunchbase indicates Realm had $8m+ annualised revenues vs MLab at $3m annualised revenue even though Realm was acquired for $39m vs ~$68m for MLab) and possibly additional acquisitions yet to come.

(The more I think about the acquisitions the more I think that the REALM acquisition was a stroke of genius at a brilliant price. MLab less so but certainly not value destroying along the lines of ARM’s Artisan acquisition say or something IBM or HP might have done).

With this Amazon endorsement announcement, I see the benefit lying in taking away the “death by Amazon” FUD factor risk situation for investors that has plagued MDB and others rather than removal of a competitive threat which I see MDB having already addressed.

Ant

4 Likes