Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
I had car registration fees due in Dec 2010 that I paid in early Jan 2011 with penalties. Can I deduct the fees without the penalty on my 2011 return? I didn't deduct this on my 2010 return since I didn't pay it in 2010.

Assuming that the car registration fees (or some part of them) are considered personal property taxes in your state, they are deductible in the year paid. In most states, car registration fees are not deductible.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.