Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 4
I had done after-tax 401K conversions to ROTH 401K this year and last with the plan of finishing my after tax 401K conversions next year.

I'm presuming that since you've done it in chunks and still have after tax contributions in the account, your account has both the original after-tax contributions, and pre-tax gains. I will further presume that the reason you've done it in chunks is to minimize taxes on the conversion of the pre-tax gains. If that's the case, does your plan have an option to roll the pre-tax gains into the pre-tax account of your IRA, while rolling the rest of the after-tax contributions into the Roth IRA? If so, you probably want to do that this year. You can still do a conversion next year of money from the pre-tax 401(k). If your plan doesn't allow that, what are your plan's rules on rolling out the total after-tax account (both contributions and gains)? They may have age restrictions, employment restrictions, or rules that make you fully disburse your 401(k) that would make it untenable for you to roll the after-tax account into IRAs. But, if feasible, you could roll the after-tax contribution amount into a Roth IRA, and, at the same time, roll the pre-tax gains into a T-IRA, to be converted next year.

If neither of those is an option, if you really want the after-tax contributions in a Roth IRA, you may need to bite the bullet and take a tax hit on the pre-tax gains this year. As Kitces indicates in his article
If this provision is enacted (which seems likely), it would create a need for a fresh look at the convert-or-not decision for savers with after-tax dollars in retirement accounts. While such individuals, particularly IRA owners (where the pro-rata rule applies), may have been waiting for the optimal time at which to make a conversion, the choice may soon be now or never (at least with respect to the after-tax dollars in their account).

That said, you can always just leave the after-tax contributions in the 401(k) for now, and then just take them out tax-free, move them to a taxable account and move the pre-tax gains into a T-IRA when you disburse the after tax account from the 401(k). Sure, it won't get the money into a Roth account. But a taxable account can be managed to produce very few taxes, and, in general, taxable accounts have a lot more flexibility than retirement accounts.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.