Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
I had lunch with my cousin yesterday, who's job is to sell IBM and HP/Compaq equipment to enterprise customers. (He greatly prefers the IBM equipment.) He usually sells high end systems and the deals are often worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. I gave him the specs on Apple's new RAID solution, and asked him for his opinions.

The main things he noticed were the differences in Apple's drive modules vs. the systems he usually sells. Apple is going with 180 GB drives at 7500 rpm with ATA/100. Virtually all of his customers opt for 73 GB drives at 10,000 rpm or greater with SCSI. They choose 73 GB drives over 146 GB drives because they are much faster at retrieving data. There's no doubt that Apple's storage solution is much, much cheaper. Apple appears to be sacrificing speed for capacity, however. He sees it as a good solution for anyone who wants to archive a large amount of data.

My take is that Apple is going after a niche in the server and storage markets, much the way they attack individual niches in consumer & profesional markets. For certain customers, Apple's unique enterprise solutions will be ideal. For other, more high-end applications, there is already plenty of competition, so Apple is wise to conserve resources for now and avoid those markets.

The question I'll ask is: Which markets is this server targeted at?

Apple's XServe page suggest one target market:

The workstation for digital video
Thinking of using Xserve as a workstation for working with digital video? Good call: You can get a built-to-order unit from the Apple Store with an AGP 4X graphics card with 64MB of DDR video RAM installed in the AGP/PCI combo slot. Final Cut Pro and optional high-performance PCI cards for audio and real-time video editing complement the solution.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.