Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
I had made Roth IRA contributions for 2006 but then found out that we were over the MAGI limit to do so. I had the contributions recharacterized as traditional IRA contributions. My understanding is that I now just need to report the contributions on form 8606. Is there anything else special that has to be done to show this recharacterization?

See the instructions for Form 8606, Part I. I can't remember if this is one of those situations which calls for an attached statement or not. It may depend on whether your earnings were positive or negative.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.