No. of Recommendations: 5
I had purchased SKT in the 30s, then I sold out early this year.

Why?
- Management is great
- Headwinds of economy, internet, location
- People are moving to City Centers, away from suburbia and this bodes ill for SKT.
- Most of their renters are for goods that suffer from internet competition, reducing SKT's pricing power.
- In the event of a recession, I could see the dividend yield spiking to 10% on SKT.
- Dividend growth shouldn't be great.
- Difficult to see alternate purposes for their outlet centers. A city center store could with som effort become an office, or condo. City Malls/Shopping Centers could become multipurpose areas with some residential, office, retail etc. What do you do with something that's 20 miles from major city centers?

I still love the company and have great respect for the management, unfortunately I have come to the conclusion that there are too many headwinds from the economy, demographic and social changes for SKT to be a decent investment going forward.

I'd rather invest in BRX or KIM.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.