Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I had the idea that I should park my 401k into a stable fund a couple of weeks before Brexit because of the probable (and almost certainly negative) shock-wave

1. You have to correctly time your exit from stocks, and also your re-entry.
2. You have to out-think your fellow individual investors and also people who get paid to make these decisions (and who have massive research staffs).
3. You have to be correct in the short-term ramifications of everything. That is, you have to find mis-pricing in the market where everyone else knows that Brexit is coming and has some ideas of what that will imply to:
a. Economies
b. Stock markets, which are driven by economies but not linked especially in the short term. IOW, "The Market" may overvalue or undervalue stocks despite you being correct on the economic impact of whatever event. People overvalued Internet stocks for a long time, against any traditional common sense that companies should have earnings or at least the *prospect* of earnings.
4. You have to decide this round-trip of sell/buy from a game theory perspective: What's your maximum and minimum loss or gain? If you're right, might you make an extra 3% or 4%, but if you're wrong about the timing of selling then re-buying, could you lose >10%?
4.1. If the numbers in item 4 are correct, will a 4% extra gain move your FI date forward? Will a 10% loss move it back? Part one of that question isn't a no-brainer--having 4% more may not change the date you can retire if you need X years in to get a pension, or if you're counting on Medicare eligibility to free you from your wage-earning shackles. But, a loss might delay your date.

Cautionary example: I recall the trepidation during Desert Shield that a "shooting war" could break out. The stock market was down during that period. Then, Desert Storm occurred--the shooting war that everyone feared became reality! But, the US stock market went up. So, the fear was realized, but the stock market went up? That was right when I was becoming interested in investing, and the lesson stuck with me: You'll have a hard time determining short term movements of the market.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.