Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I had the same problem. I tried a swing arm, but it always sagged. I found a flat screen with a DVD player included that almost perfectly fit the cabinet. (It actually overlaps just slightly, with the bulge in the back fitting nicely into the cavity.)

Anyway, I got a fold down TV mount from Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/VIVO-Cabinet-Mounting-Monitors-MOUNT-...

Where it wanted to mount was just ceiling insulation, so I mounted a 8"x8"x2" block inside the cabinet, which has a wooden interior which could handle the weight. Then (this gets complicated) I made another block to attach the fold down mount to, and then connected the edges of that to sliding drawer rails. Now the TV sits nicely in the space, to access behind it I pull it forward and it slides out like a kitchen drawer, and if I need even better access, I can swing it up towards the ceiling.

A better solution might have been to get a piano hinge and attach it to the TV frame to it just folds up and down, but I was afraid to drill into the plastic of the frame for fear of puncturing something important inside. Also where the hinge would attach to the ceiling is just that white insulation, so I would have had to make an "extender" piece to bring something more stable out from the "roof" of the cabinet space into the cab space (1/2" ply would have done it) to have something structural to hit. I suppose there's also some plywood above the insulation, but again there's a lot going up there that I don't know about: cables to the rear view camera, to heat & A/C channels, electric lights, etc. and I didn't want to chance hitting something important.

Now I have another cabinet which is not terribly useful (who wants to drag the TV back and forth every time you want to use it?) but it's good for storing "backups" of things like paper towels and coffee filters toilet papers and stuff you only need to get to occasionally.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.