Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I had thought that, so long as I took that money out of our Roth accounts before April 15, it's as if it never happened. - stevenjklein


You should get your Roth Custodian involved in this reversal. Since they do the reporting to Uncle Sugar you want to be sure they report the re-characterization correctly. If you just do what looks like a run of the mill withdrawal, they may not relate that to undoing your Roth Contribution.

And speaking from experience, I just had to do this myself because of a spike income, you must also withdraw the earnings on that contribution which will then become taxable income to you. You need your custodian to calculate that earnings amount as the methodology for that calculation was not what I expected.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.