Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
I have 2 cases of fumbling options trading causing wash sales.

Ok - options it is. In some ways, that makes my responses easier. For me. I have refused to spend the time to figure out options and wash sales. So my answer is simple. "I dunno." I don't know how you got into the wash sale position, I don't know if your purported wash sales are actually wash sales, I don't know how to get out.

Except that I will make a side comment on your Netflix. If you own no stock and no options, you should not have any outstanding wash sale issues. Wash sale issues always come to an end when you close out all of your positions and stay out for 30 days. Since that appears to be the case with Netflix, then you should not have any wash sale issues. If you believe that you do have open wash sale issues, you instead have a problem. Something is wrong. Any potential wash sales would be completed with the sale of the last affected securities.

--Peter
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.