Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I have 2 Shun Japanese knives. Pricy, but worth it. I didn;t get them at the same time or even the same year. I also have an inexpensive slicing knife (for tomatoes, bread)--no need for anything better. And cheap paring knives that I replace every decade or 2--my fave is by Chicago Cutlery. But for slicing/chopping/cutting up veggies and cutting up meat (like turning a chuck roast into pot roast or stew-size pieces, slicing a steak or roast, dismembering a chicken), a great knife make life much easier and more pleasant.

Shun knives have wooden handles (and tangs that go all the way down) so I'd never put them in the dishwasher. I smile when I wash them by hand. Wish I'd gotten such great knives decades ago. You can buy them at some nice kitchen stores such as Williams-Sonoma and on Amazon.

You haven't lived(!) until you slice a tomato with a proper sharp serated slicing knife, or sliced a pile of mushrooms or chopped onions with a Shun ;-)

ASIDE
I'm often shocked by the cr@ppy knives in other peoples' kitchens when I help them cook--even people who can afford great knives much more easily than I can. Knuves that can only slice, not chop--eek! But my younger brother introduced me to Shun. He bought a large set (and therefore has several that go pretty much unused). He also bought Shun steak knives. If we ate steaks & roasts more often, I might spring for them, too.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.