Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I have a 401k and I keep reading about people having both a 401k and an IRA. What are the benefits of having both?

I actually have 3 things: A 401k, a rollover IRA and a Roth IRA.

I max out my 401k contributions, so I also contribute to my Roth IRA. I could contribute to a traditional IRA instead of the Roth, but I couldn't deduct the contributions.

I also have a rollover IRA, which has been funded by dollars rolled over from the 401k of my old employer when I left. I don't contribute to the rollover IRA, but it allows me to keep deferring the tax bill on the 401k dollars.

The rule of thumb is that you should always contribute to your 401k to get all available matching funds. After that, some people perfer to direct their savings into an IRA, either traditional or Roth, to invest in holdings different from those in the 401k. However, if you have sufficient funds to max out both your 401k and IRA contribution, it makes sense to do so.

JDOyster
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.