No. of Recommendations: 1
I have a 457 F Defered Compensation Plan with my current employer that will mature in about another year. It will be a lump sum distribution. Can I roll this over into another type of account our do I have to take the total distribution and pay taxes on it all at that time. If I have options what might they be? I do not want to have to pay taxes on the total amount upon distribution.

It depends on if the plan is 'qualified' or not. You need to ask whoever administers the plan if it is a 'qualified' plan. A few years ago, the rules for 'qualified' plans were loosened up a bit, but some 457 plans still have not taken advantage of the rule changes to become qualified. If it is qualified, you can roll it over into an IRA.

However, if you are being forced to take a lump-sum distribution, your plan may not be qualified. In this case, you need to check to see if you can take the distribution by getting something other than a lump-sum. If not, you will end up paying taxes on it. However, what you pay in taxes still should not be as much as your distribution is, so you should end up with more available money than you started with.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.