Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have a 457 from a healthcare organization. I also had a 403b. I was able to move the 403b over to a Traditional IRA and I'm in the process of converting (over time) those funds to a Roth IRA.

It is my understanding that some 457 cannot be converted this way to a Roth IRA. I believe government related 457s can be converted. They are called 457b. I believe my 457 is a 457f. I've been told by my company that my 457 cannot be moved to a Traditional IRA.

I believe the reasoning may be that I was also provided a 403b plan and it has the same maximum contributions (and tax advantages) that a 401K has. So I believe if your organization offers only a 457 plan and no 401K or 403B plan then I think you are probably under a 457 that can move the funds over to a Traditional IRA and then to a Roth. If you have both a 457 and either a 401K or 403B from your company then I think the rules are still that you can't move these funds into either a Traditional or Roth IRA.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.