Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I have a 7 year old who plays way too many games across PS4, Switch, and PC. From a Switch perspective here's what he has enjoyed. I also threw in a few he was frustrated with.

Enjoyed:
- Pokemon Pikachu - Pretty straightforward, lots of cute characters, some easy fighting, and lots of leveling things up.
- Mariokart - Great fun playing with others, and some trophies to earn solo with an easy mode that works for the age group.
- Super Smash Bros. - Lots of characters to choose from, and an easy mode very winnable for kids. Can also lead to some fun family 4 player battles.
- Mario Party - Lots of fun mini games. Can play solo but fun to play with the family.
- Just Dance 2020 - Basic dancing game he enjoys to get a little exercise when he can't go out. Gets annoying quickly for adults sometimes, but the little ones like it.

Played and enjoyed but potentially frustrating:
- Mario Tennis Aces - He enjoys this but the campaign does get a bit tough as you go through it. You have to master some special techniques. He got frustrated for a while, but now he has it mastered and even I have trouble beating him 1 on 1 now.
- Luigi's Mansion 3 - Cute adventure game with some fun enemies and boss fights. Several spots where it isn't clear what to do next or how to beat a boss, so it required parent help to look things up sometimes.
- Super Mario Odyssey - 3D platformer, so definitely some frustration built in. Also has a need to look up things sometimes. Overall enjoyed it though.
- Super Mario Bros. - A lot like those that came before. Some tough levels here for younger ones, but multiplayer can get you through those parts.
- NBA 2 on 2 game - Can't remember the exact name here, but it's 2-on2 similar to the old NBA Jam. Even easy mode can be challenging until you really get the hang of stealing and blocking, and there aren't many good players unlocked at the beginning. But if your kid enjoys basketball it may work. Once mine unlocked Lebron he was able to win his first season championship.

Avoid:
- Zelda - He's tried this a few times but it never sticks. It's not always obvious what to do next so a lot of parental look ups happening. Also a bit slow to progress. Should probably avoid this for the younger ones.
- Kirby - Another one that was tried a couple of times but hasn't stuck. A platformer with some fun powers and enemies, but frustrating at times and it has been enough to have him move on to other options.

One last mention is Animal Crossings. My 7yo isn't that into it, but one of my older kids is and so is my wife who doesn't typically play many games. Lots of gathering and decorating your virtual house. I can't play it for long but they can. I'd rather hit WoW, Albion, or Eve if I'm in the gathering mood.

Hope that helps!

Robinson
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.