Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 8
I have a certificate for each of those shares in my safe deposit box at my bank.

You must be one of the few who took Buffett seriously on the 20-punch-card advice :)

Seriously, looking back over the past 23 years investing, I do think I would have been better off doing what you did--taking ownership of the certificate...and thereby the business. And not just with Berkshire. I've made the mistake of "taking a profit" far too many times, when I would have been much better served locking the certificate away in a vault. Moreover, knowing that was the game, I would not have been tempted by some of the less-than-wonderful businesses.

The certificate-in-the-bank is not quite so rigid as a 20-punch-card approach, but the friction of trading is probably just about right to prevent stupid behavior on both ends of the transaction.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.