Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have a gateway 9500 series laptop I purchased in mid 2001.

It does everything I need it to. I did use it for business for awhile, but now it's my main home computer.

Think about what she needs before you purchase. I like Dell as a computer manufacturer, I think for a business PC they do a good job. (Now, you want to talk about a gaming PC.. that's a different story).

You should be able to configure it pretty much any way you want (CD, CD-R, CD-RW, and/or DVD player, integrated ethernet, non-integrated ethernet..).

They also have those PCMCIA slots where you can plug in cards. Mine has a build in ethernet port for high-speed internet connections, and I have a wireless 802.11b card.

I don't know if I'd shell out any extra for 802.11g myself. I'm not totally up to speed on the difference, but I've read they're lowering the speed on the 802.11g to not much faster than .11b.

Mine also has an infrared port, and has all the ports I need (printer, 2 USBs, keyboard, mouse, video out for projectors).

As for support on the laptop, I've never used it. Anything software related I can handle myself. I have called Gateway before to ask for support on my parent's old PC. I wasn't impressed with their service. The problem with laptops is they aren't very upgradable, and hardware problems usually have to go back to the manufacturer.

She should be able to get whatever she will need in a laptop from Dell.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.