Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I have a picture of some distant relative who was a model...

...in 1890 or something. She's sitting in a little boat dresses up in a long dress and a huge hat. The boat had a little outboard motor that had to be one of the first one's ever made. She was a model in an outboard motor ad.

I have another one of my gradfather on his sailboat. When he was young, before he married, he and a bunch of guys he knew somehow got a large sailboat and went all over Lake Michigan. This boat was wood and the spars were the size of my leg. They were shipwrecked once and almost died

Isn't is so neat looking at some of the old family pictures and knowing of the stories behind them? In my grandparent's box of pictures I took to Norway, there was one who I thought was my great grandmother. As it turned out it was her sister. It was of a young age maybe around 30, and she was very pretty wearing her Native Norwegian dress. What was uncanny is one of my cousins is the spitin' image of her...really!
Looking at some of your pictures do you see family resemblance of some in the younger generations?

I have a picture of my father's uncle in a WWI doughboy uniform sitting on the front porch with my dad who was maybe two years old. There's one's of my mother as a teenager.

There were a lot of pictures of family and family friends in uniform from WWII. As you know my folks were from farm families and lived in the flatlands of Illinois. Every male child over 17 either joined up or were drafted it seem. Everyone was involved some way.

But my favorite one is my dad in a plaid flannel shirt sitting in the cab of a huge diesel locomotive with my older sister in the engineer's seat. My sister looks to be about three. My dad was no doubt down at the plant. He worked for Electromotive Division of GM for a number of years. He used to go in to his office at the warehouse every Saturday morning and he'd take the kids with him. I used to play with his intercom and snitch his office supplies.

I can just picture your dad myself...and at the same time thinking of my dad. My dad was as slim and muscular at 80 as when he was a young man. Still had his wavy hair, but only it turned white. He was a hard worker all his life, never sitting still and always young at heart.

Funny isn't it....I mean here I am living a stone's throw from where you lived and grew up and you are or at least was living many years in my home town and right now I feel like your sitting in my living room with us talking about 'way back when' I must be getting soft. Can't do that on the PA Board. Better pinch myself and wake up, lol. ;)

Anyhow RT, with all politics aside, it really is a small world and if your ever back home in Wisconsin the welcome mat is out by the front door and your welcome to stop by and visit with my husband and me. I think that would be nice.

Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.