Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 23
How many of you would be in favor of a loud mouthed - anal retentive, emergency room nurse carrying the torch for the 2003 Elves Project???

If someone truly has a problem with that - email me - I will not be offended.

I know I can be slightly abrasive at times.

I been sleeping on this and talking to bookgrrl. I think I would seriously like to make some impact here in West Virginia -- or if you all prefer can collect to give to secondharvest or whatever.

Anyho, let me know

Uncle Jeffy

Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
RE: UJ: "How many of you would be in favor of a loud mouthed - anal retentive, emergency room nurse carrying the torch for the 2003 Elves Project???"

Sounds logical to me.

SB (then again, I had a collection of plastic dairy queen spoons)
No. of Recommendations: 0
Uncle Jeffy,

I am strongly in favor of such a thing! Thank you for stepping up to the plate.

Allow me to read something into this...

My grandmother, who passed away last year and a Foolish Elf in her own right, lived most of her life in West (By God!) Virginia. My mom grew up there and my brother and i know the words to the state song ("Oh, the West Virginia hills! How majestic and how grand!") - the first verse anyway.

Incidentally, my husband has some cousins who live in West Virginia, too.

So, not that i wouldn't participate otherwise, but it will mean a lot to me to contribute something to a state that holds a special place in my heart.

PS - I still owe you some Mardi Gras beads.

Luv,
snippee
No. of Recommendations: 3
Well, aren't you an angel!!! Or, at least, the very best kind of Foolish Elf.

When I saw bookgrrl's post I was afraid that no one would pick up the torch and that the Elves project would fall by the wayside this year. I knew with everything I have going on there was no way I could spearhead this kind of huge effort, but I am so glad to see that YOU are.

Count me in.
Sounds like a lovely idea.

BTW, are you anywhere close to Hurricane?

KrissyLou
Snippee,

thanks for the thoughts and check your email

PRONTO!!!

Uncle Jeffy
KrissyLou

In Morgantown here -- about 3.5 hours north -near the Pa/WV border

Jeff

Jeff

I've got lots of relatives around those parts.

Mark
Anyho, let me know

Sounds like a great idea to me. :)
let me know

You're the best!!!!

~~ Alison
No. of Recommendations: 1
Sounds great. Any ideas on the local possibilities? Do the post offices do anything like the Chicago one?

Personally, I like the idea of living vicariously through you, touching individual lives you get to see more than the more remote/anonymous secondharvest or other organization.

OK, I know some pretty incredible folks around Hurricane (and I even know how to pronounce it correctly) but it doesn't sound feasible to network through them this year. Morgantown, WV it is!

KrissyLou
Jeff,

I think it's grand of you to be the lead angel. I'm sure you gave it lots of thought since you've spoken with bookgrrl. Just wanted to make sure that between your regular job and the classes you are taking - you'll be okay.

I know you can do it, just wanted to make sure you weren't um over taxing yourself ;)

I'm looking forward to reading about how this year's project unfolds.

Odee
Great! Thanks for stepping up!

Personally, I like the idea of living vicariously through you, touching individual lives you get to see more than the more remote/anonymous secondharvest or other organization.

That's exactly how I feel.

Crazyinlovfool
Hey Uncle Jeffy, thanks for taking up the torch.

I love Stella because she always posts what I would like to say and never know how. So this is what I feel and Stella said the words.

"Personally, I like the idea of living vicariously through you, touching individual lives you get to see more than the more remote/anonymous secondharvest or other organization"

BTW, I was born in Charleston and have a first cousin in your neighborhood.

Blue
Kissylou said "OK, I know some pretty incredible folks around Hurricane (and I even know how to pronounce it correctly)"

When I read your post I chuckled. Since I grew up in Charleston I also know how to pronounce it. Can you imagine my suprise as a young kid just moving to Florida when I found out that they had something here called a hurricane that they pronounced wrong LOL....

Blue
Jeffy,

You can count on me.
Always,
Hunzi
count me in, to the best of my abilities, if i don't get put on bedrest

:) go angels!!!
No. of Recommendations: 4
OK, so I'm late to the table here, story of my life, and just catching up on the 40+ posts, but Uncle Jeffy, I'm in.

If you remember I was part of the bookgrrl caper last year in rallying the cause - at least I understand how sending money orders works with our dear USPS. ("No Visa, No AMEX, No Nothing, Just Cold Cash Because We're Here to Serve You....")

I think it fitting that whoever steps into bookgrrl's voluminous (spiritually, not physically) shoes should make the choice of what organization to work with. I like a grass roots project, something in the community that can really make an impact. I would rather see the energy poured into one project than several, so our collective efforts don't get diffused.

Alot of people have offered suggestions of food and clothing - the staples and always needed.

But Uncle Jeffy talked about employment, poverty, and that got me to thinking about literacy. I'm an impassioned believer in the ability to read being a key to opening doors in life. So how could we help that way? We can't all move to West Virginia and become reading mentors....but what would it take to help fund a reading aide program in one of the schools or as part of one of the social services agencies? Or books for the local library or school systems?

I'm just throwing out ideas, half-baked, that's all, thinking of what helped me make my own way in life since I had to be on my own as a kid....and I've long felt that Knowledge is Power....and reading skills are the pavers in that walkway.....just musing out loud....

3bd, tundraelf

RE: 3bd: "what would it take to help fund a reading aide program in one of the schools or as part of one of the social services agencies? Or books for the local library or school systems?"

I'm sort of inclined to that kind of project myself. Unless there is a demonstrable need for more charitable causes to deal with the basic needs I think we could make a bigger impact supporting a project with a broader outlook.

Once again, talking to people with the local human service agencies and organizations can probably help with an idea like this.

SB (likes the educational toys idea)(there's some really neat stuff)
but what would it take to help fund a reading aide program in one of the schools or as part of one of the social services agencies? Or books for the local library or school systems?

Adding my vote to this one. Not only cuz it's a great idea of the "teaching kids to fish" variety, but cuz it's something almost nobody else ever thinks about. No disrespect intended toward those who do food, toys, and clothing, cuz those are always needed, too. Way I see it, though, there's lots of folks handling that part of it, and very few dealing with literacy programs, book programs, and so forth.

Establishing a particular program would be difficult. The best way to start something like this, in my experience, is to get with local librarians. Ask them what they need, what they could use. Chances are, if we supply the resources, they'll do what they need to put it together in a way that works for their area, their kids, their needs.
ILC
Jeffy,
If the project involves education and literacy then count me in.
Mike for NJ.