Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I have a question for owners of the stock and users. I am interested in it and I have heard alot about the plug and play features of the iMac as a great feature and the lack of disc drive being a poor one. I used to be a Mac user, but switched to the PC. Is it really that good and is it something I could buy for someone unfamiliar with computers and the Internet? Also, anyone heard anything recently about the new personal organizer and its wireless capabilities?
Print the post Back To Top
All Apple computers have great plug and play features.That has always been their claim to fame. As for the iMac, I have been using Macs for over 10 years and they have never failed me.

Disk drive?! Heard of FTP or Email? Floppies are going the way of the dodo. They are unreliable and can't store much any ways. When was the last time you used a file under a meg. Besides the there is a USB drive, I forget the name, but it'll read floppies and zips. You can buy it for the iMac as an external device.

CompUsa has the iMac for $ 999.000, I'm ready to buy one for my business. You can't beat that price.

Merry Christmas.
Dear booradley76,

If you used to be a Mac user, you would know already how easy to use they are. However, if you are referring to the new USB peripheral connection standard, what it means is that you can plug in a peripheral, like a USB Zip drive (Zips being the industry standard -- if you want to share files with other people, they are your best bet) without turning off the computer, and immediately use it.

With regard to the lack of a floppy disk drive, the entire computer industry is heading in the same direction (Compaq and Dell have been talking about releasing flopy-less products also), since it is an obsolete technology (in fact, Intel relased a paper asking computer manufacturers to dump the floppy so the technology can advance even more rapidly). The iMac comes with a CD-Rom, bulit-in ethernet, and Internet connection software, so most of your needs are already met (install applications by CD; small file exchange through a network or email over the Net).

Finally with regard to your question about the ease of use for somone unfamiliar with computers and the Internet, other posters have left some wonderful links on this board in the last two or three weeks. One goes to the Apple website where you can download a short commercial that shows an 8 year old install an iMac and start surfing the net in about 8 minutes. Another link concerns an article written by a woman who wanted to buy a computer for her mother. It is a great story.

Good luck in your decision.