No. of Recommendations: 0
I have a related question and thought I'd just continue this thread since there's some great info in the previous posts. My situation might also help anyone who is considering a VUL.

I bought (was sold) a $350k VUL in October 2002. I'm seriously regretting it now. My monthly payments are $510. Out of this, $115 goes toward the cost of insurance and another $40 goes to various expense charges. In other words, I'm paying $115 a month for insurance that I could get with a term policy for around $40 a month.

The worst part is that now that I realize my mistake, getting out of it will cost me the majority of the money that I already have in it. Of the $15,300 I've put into it (30 payments x $510), my accumulation value is around $9k (obviously this number varies based on fund performance). Unfortunately, my cash surrender value is only around $2600 because I have to pay surrender charges of over $6,300 (these charges start to gradually decrease beginning in year six of the policy).

So my question is, should I just cut my losses now and get out of it or continue to pay into it? I hate to lose that money but I also don't want to continue "throwing good money after bad". Any advice on how to make the best decision? Thanks!
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.