Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 7
I have a Rollover IRA with E-Trade. I'm actively trading stock within the account, with a definite long-term outlook. My question is: Will I owe capital gains tax on any realized profit when I begin withdrawing at retirement, in addition to fed/state income tax?

There is no "capital gains" tax in our system. There is a special income tax rate applied to some capital gains, but no separate tax. Taxable distributions from retirement accounts are income taxed as ordinary income. There's no tax need for tracking gains and losses within a retirement account.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.