Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
I have a second curious analogy that I should also share with the board. About 9 months back I finally got myself a cell phone. The number I was assigned is recycled, and the previous owner was a young (I presume) girl who is in default of her student loans.

Care to venture a guess as to how many calls I still get asking for her? After telling about a dozen different companies to stop calling as this wasn't her number (I keep a list, but its not handy), I still get about a call a week. Initially it was every couple of days at least.

Several years back I had a similar experience involving a credit card company I had never done business with. An individual with the same given first name and same family but different middle name apparently had an account with the bank and was in default. Either that person listed my phone number on their credit application or the bank collection department started calling numbers listed listed for family, given name in the local metro phone directory in an effort to find their missing person.

For each of the first three errant collection calls I patiently advised that I never had a credit card account with the bank in question and asked where they got my phone number. The caller would claim the phone number source was the credit application or would not respond to the question. Initially, call number four proceeded along the lines of the earlier calls before the caller said something like, "Why the hell don't you just pay what you owe you G__ d___ deadbeat!" That caller was advised that any further calls risked provoking active offensive measures by me to stop further harassment and invasion of privacy by a company I never did business with.

Caller number five was advised that any further calls regarding the delinquent account in question, whether from the bank, collection agencies, or individuals, would provoke a law suit seeking legal fees, court costs, and $100,000 for each call after the first plus $250,000 for the sixth and any subsequent calls. Each of the callers as well as their supervisors and company officers would be named as defendants.

To date I have not received any further calls.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.