Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
I have a similar general political philosophy which emphasizes individual rights but also national security. I also disagree with the Libertarian platform which abdicates government's critical and central responsibility of national security. I am a realist who recognizes that protecting us from certain national security threats may take precedence over unlimited individual freedoms. In the long run, this approach should protect our most basic freedoms.

I, too, have a problem with the Libertarian attitude towards things I consider national security treats. I do not like the Patriot Act, nor do I like American citizens being locked up without a trial, or any of the due process.

I also do not want the country to stick it's head in the sand and let the Muslim extremists blow Israel off the face of the map, and I definitely prefer having the extremists shooting at our well-armed and well-armored troops than at our un-armed and un-armored civilians.

I noticed this year at the National Libertarian Convention there were definitely a lot more people that would normally consider themselves "Liberal" or "Democrat" than I would expect, and I think that is a direct result of the party's stance on the war. I think if the party's stance changed, most of those folks would abandon the Libertarian Party with smoke behind them.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.