Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
I have a substantial amount in IRA's and am retired in the sense that I am living off of my investment and rental income. I will not tap into my IRA funds for at least another 15 years.

So you are 56 or younger? Because if you're not 56 or younger, you will be required to start tapping your IRAs in the year you turn 70 1/2, which would be less than 15 years.

With this situation what do you think about converting an amount of my IRA to a ROTH IRA?

It's a good strategy to minimize future tax bills if you can ensure that you (1) won't need to withdraw the converted amount until you are at least 59 1/2, or the conversion has aged for 5 years, whichever is sooner (2) you don't move yourself into a higher tax bracket snd (3) you can pay the additional tax from other income/investments, without having to tap into the IRA

Am I missing something?? Does this make sense to you. Please advise

No, you aren't missing anything. It's a strategy that I plan on employing when I retire in a few years.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.