Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I have also run the EMC evaluation and came to the same conclusion and QUESTION. With EMC I cannot judge how to define the best competitor to compare against (specially since SUN main business is not storage). But with noka that you mentioned is easier to me:

noka main business: cellular infraestructure and cellular phones.
* Infraestructure competitors: Whoever can challenge noka leading role on GSM (ie. ericy) and on WCDMA (again ericy). Please note that I am not mentioning LU, NT, Motorola and the likes since they are mainly TDMA and CDMA players. noka is not big there but should noka wants or needs (to keep growing) to compite on these standards then the pick of major competitor will probably change.
* Phones competitors: Again the same considerations but in this case also adding suppliers of low cost terminals.

However noka is also diversifying into other areas as wireless/IP data. I would say with so much growth in these areas a "natural" competitor is hard to find. Thus my opinion is that whoever hurt more the core business and diversification/growth possibilities should be the main competitor (s)

Regarding UNIPHASE I see it often as one or the one most frequent stock in the Fool workshop (this suppose to be a very good sign). I do not about the company but I will like to know more.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.