Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
I have an existing IRA with Fidelity, and a Roth with TD-Ameritrade, and I am retired,with no W2 income. I'd like to transfer money from IRA to the Roth, up to the tax bracket limit that I want to stay in for this year. I called Fidelity, the rep told me that I would need to open a Roth at Fidelity, and then I could transfer out of that Roth into the TD-Ameritrade Roth. This doesn't really make sense to me. I asked if there would be a 5 year waiting period before distribution from this new Roth would be tax free ( see link ), and he had no idea.

Any thoughts on this ?

Yes: brokers hate for you to take assets out, and love to get them.
In your case, call Ameritrade and authorize them to grab your Fidelity assets into your Ameritrade account. Be sure to do a trustee-to-trustee transfer. You do not want to have access to the money.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.