Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I have been deducting foreign taxes on Schedule A for years. Now I want to take it as a credit using Form 1116. Is there any problem with making this change for 2017?
------------------
No. You don't provide any other information, but I wonder why you've been taking the Schedule A route in the past. Other than simplicity, it's usually better to take a credit than a deduction.

=====================
Logic would seem to dictate that a credit should be better, but some goofy things can happen with foreign taxes. In recent years, I started to consider the deduction route with some clients, but it wouldn't have worked for them either, because the itemized deduction would have been an add-back for AMT.

What caused that situation is that a number clients had a perennial buildup of unused credits because the credit is limited to the US tax on the foreign income. And where the foreign tax on dividends is 15%, and the US tax on qualified dividends is 15%, you should come out OK, or at least close. But if your US tax on qualified dividends is 0%, or something between 0% and 15%, you're going to have an unused credit, maybe every year. So somewhere you might get frustrated and prefer to take a deduction, and at least get some benefit, and it's a whole lot simpler. But, as I mentioned, even that doesn't work where AMT applies.

As Ira alluded to,if your total foreign tax is withholding on interest or dividends, and it's less than $300 single or $600 on a joint return, then you can elect to just take it all as a credit, with no carryovers or carrybacks to or from the current year, without doing a Form 1116.

Bill
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.