Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
[[I have been in school this past year and have no income, but I made about 3000
in gains and 1000 in losses. My father says if it is under 6000$ I do not have to
pay, is this true? If not what is the cut off?]]

If you are single, and you are not claimed as a dependent by another, your "cut off" would be $6,950.

But the problem is that you have Sch D transactions. If your GROSS SALES on your Sch D transactions exceed $6,950, then you'll have to file a return anyway...even if you owe no tax...just so Uncle Sammy can see your cost basis on your shares sold, and check your total gains an losses.

Sorry for the bad news...
TMF Taxes
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.