Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I have been laid off, but will be paid through the end of August and then receive a severance package....I was planning to start college this fall, going at night while working full time....maybe I should look into getting financial aid in the form of student loans, grants, etc., and going to college full time.

I am 37 yrs old and have no degree or hours towards one. I will be working towards a degree in Software Engineering. Does anyone know how I might find out what scholarships or grants for which I may be eligible? Also, is one type of student loan better than another?

Have you already filled out a FAFSA? If not, do it right away. That will determine your eligibilty for federal financial aid programs.
When you get your Student Aid Report (results of the FAFSA), go to the financial aid office and ask for an adjustment due to "special circumstances" -- because you no longer have the job you held last year and will have lower income. If you do go to school full time and don't get another job, you will probably need a special circumstances adjustment for next year too.
FYI...You can get financial aid as a part time student too.
The best loans are Subsidized loans, which means the government pays the interest on them while you are in school. These are "need-based" loans and your need will be determined by the FAFSA.
There are scholarships availabe for adult students. Here's another Scholarship search you might find helpful: http://www.collegenet.com/mach25/
Also check with any organizations you or your family members belong to, and local scholarship organizations in your community.

Hope this helps.
NellieD
Print the post  

Announcements

Paying For School Guide
Trying to Tackle Tuition? The Motley Fool's Guide to Paying for School will help you fight those rising education costs.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.