No. of Recommendations: 0
I have been living out of the US for 3 years now. To be able to trade (in or out of a IRA or brokerage account), all you have to do is have a mailing address in the states. By having a "MAILING ADDRESS" in the states your mutual fund companies or brokerages will not know the difference. As for US taxes, you will still have to claim all capital gains, but you will have to fill out a form 2555ez to get your $72,000 deduction for being out of the country. If you don't itemize then you will get the standard deduction on top of the foreign income allowance ($72,000 for 1998).
My income went over the 72,000 and I had a lot of capital gains for the year 1998. But after having H&R block do my taxes, ALL the gains and the overage was washed out and I did not owe anything to the IRS. claim the foreign income allowance you must past the tests of being a out of country resident. (see form 2555ez for the questions). you must not be out of the US less than 330 days of a 12 month year (that does not necessarily mean Jan1 98 to Dec31 98.).
I hope this helps you.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.