Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have been thinking about earnings but so far I have ignored them. This week TWLO was the top call to sell. Go for a lesser call or ignore the earnings date? What would you do?

What I did do was avoid the August 2 calls for TWLO. Upon further review, that might have been overcautious. With a 5% price drop from today's closing price you would end up with negative $37/day (I think)net. Not a disaster. Have to expect losses.

I found it interesting to try to do forensic analysis of your trade. Seems as though you executed it very early in the Monday trading day. The $/day is uncertain in practice as the underlying went from $146 to $149 in a few minutes. I assume that you buy shares and sell calls "simultaneously". But the actual ratio of premium to if-called is uncertain in practice.

what I did Tuesday near the open was

ZS 8/2 $88.50 sold for $0.90;
TTD 8/2 $252 sold for $3.00;
MDB 8/2 $170 sold for $2.35.

The TTD trade was interesting. These were shares I have held for awhile, so just entered order for the calls. But, prices were moving and it seemed clear that the TTD was not going to execute. So, I cancelled the sell-to-open order on TTD. Then I tried to enter a new order but even though the first order was shown as cancelled, no open orders, the new order was not accepted. Problem with the broker's software. Ended up making a simultaneous order for shares and calls giving me a double holding of TTD. Turned out o.k. as the price went up during the session and I sold the extra shares for a nice profit in the after-hours market when I woke up this morning.

KC
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.